Saturday, April 30, 2011

Waiting for Mona

Today, we're preparing. Today, we're waiting. Today, emotions are high. We add a new family member soon. In fact, Adam is on his way to the airport to pick her up right now. After so much research and deliberation as a family, we found our dog, our Mona. She is a six-month-old coated Xoloitzcuintli (pronounced show-low-eets-queent-lee). Here is her picture from her breeders:

Isn't she the sweetest? It was love at first sight for Adam and for me when we saw that face. So while I should have been cleaning today, I have instead had to do what I can to get everyone's emotions under control. For Laini, it is a little extra nursing and peeking to get smiles instead of grumps. She can sense the added emotional tension of the day.

For Max, it's just some extra "oofing," and letting him destruct things, like tortilla chips with a marble rolling pin. There's no better way for Max to get out his emotions than crushing something.


For Kane, it is a little more involved. After a short outburst of negative emotions where I had to chase him around the yard to get ahold of him and bring him inside after he refused to come in, he spent some time in his bed. After he was calmed some, he was throwing stuff all over the room. Yes, that was calmed down. So I grabbed a pillow and smacked him upside the head with it, and a fierce family pillow fight insued. That took care of it for him.

And for Bella, there are the conversations. We are talking a lot about what to expect, and what we're going to do with dear Mona. And then there are the running-around-the-living-room-in-circles times, which I think I'll have to do with her soon, as she's dangling off my chair arm and breathing in my ear, jumping up and down and swinging my chair all over the place.




































Makes it hard to get a post done. I've been working on this for hours. But, hey, I have to do what I need to get out those emotions as well. So now it is off to finish our whole-house puppy-proofing and get some much needed sunshine before we all have to settle down so Mona can join our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers